Patrick J. Lee-O'Halloran
Focused on the Industry
Patrick’s practice has been dedicated to construction law for more than 15 years, representing clients on all sides of the construction industry. Since 2000 he has focused his practice on complex construction cases and arbitrations, representing contractors, subcontractors, owners, developers, sureties, design professionals, and other businesses, in matters regarding both public and private construction projects, including highway/heavy, industrial and commercial construction.
Patrick also has a significant practice representing residential homeowners in construction defect and non-disclosure cases. Patrick sits on the governing council for the Construction Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association and has served as President and a Board Member of the Minnesota Construction Association.
Trusted Business Advisor
Patrick regularly represents contractors and subcontractors seeking to avoid disputes through pro-active contract reviews, and frequently assists his clients with the drafting and negotiation of contracts, subcontracts, and other project documents for contractors, builders, and homeowners alike. He has acted as both a counselor and advocate on matters involving government contracting and procurement compliance, contractual issues and surety work. As a trusted business advisor Patrick has drafted articles of incorporation and organization, teaming agreements, joint ventures for his construction clients and advised them on other business and real estate matters.
Experienced in Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
Patrick has represented construction law clients before the federal, state, and bankruptcy courts located throughout the Midwest, including in Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota, at both the trial and appellate levels. Patrick has tried and litigated cases involving construction defects, mechanic’s liens, performance and payment bonds in commercial, industrial, and residential construction disputes of all sizes. Patrick regularly appears in mediations and arbitrations in those same states, and conducts mediation and arbitration as a qualified neutral on the Minnesota Courts’ roster. He is a frequent author and lecturer to attorney and industry audiences alike.
- Board Member, Minnesota Construction Association, 2006-2009
- President, Minnesota Construction Association, 2009-2010
- Council Member, Minnesota State Bar Association, Construction Law Section, 2013 to present
- Qualified Neutral Arbitrator, Minnesota Courts
- Qualified Neutral Mediator, Minnesota Courts
- Panel Member, Minnesota Home Warranty Dispute Resolution Program, Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
Legislative Advocacy – Patrick has volunteered countless hours advocating at the Minnesota legislature for construction industry issues, homeowner issues, and on behalf of his local school district. In 2008 and 2009 Patrick was part of a coalition that successfully shepherded several homeowner statutory warranty reforms through the Minnesota legislature. Patrick also participated in the Minnesota Home Warranty task force at the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry.
Patrick is a frequent author and lecturer on construction law, arbitration, and surety topics with local and national legal education and industry groups. In recent years, Patrick has authored and presented the following seminars:
- Construction Surety Law, National Business Institute
- Construction Surety Law: Resolving Common Disputes, National Business Institute
- Experts in Defective Construction, National Business Institute
- Ethics and Dispute Resolution in Government Construction, Half Moon
- ECI vs. Bolduc – Where Do We Go From Here? MSBA Construction Section
- Legislative Update, Timely Topics in Residential Construction Law, Minnesota CLE
- Construction Claims and Documentation, Minnesota Construction Association
- Understanding and Using MnDOT’s 2014 Standard Specifications
- Downstream Allocation of Risk: Indemnification, Insurance & Additional Insured Requirements
- Alternative Dispute Resolution and Construction Disputes, Minnesota Construction Association
Admitted to Practice
- All Minnesota State Trial and Appellate Courts
- All South Dakota State Trial and Appellate Courts
- United States District Courts:
- District of Minnesota
- Western District of Wisconsin
- District of North Dakota
- United States Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- Admitted Pro Hac Vice numerous times, including in Iowa, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and other jurisdictions.
- Patrick also has appeared in various administrative bodies of the U.S. Government on construction and procurement issues.
- Carleton College, B.A. cum laude 1990
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D. cum laude 1996